What do I need to think about when my child moves from primary to secondary school? How will my child get to school each day? Who is responsible for school transport? Between your child starting and completing school, you are bound to have lots of questions. You can find information on the German school system, from primary school right up to Abitur (university admission certificate), here.


After-school care

Here you can get information about after-school care for your child in elementary school or day care centers.

After-school care attendance of one / more children Deregistration

Here you will find information on how to deregister your child from after-school care.

After-school care registration

As a rule, after-school care registration and deregistration are carried out in writing via the management of the respective elementary school. The daily duration of the child's...

All-day schools

According to the Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in the Federal Republic of Germany, all-day schools are schools in which, in...

Apply for a residence permit to attend a general education school

You can obtain a residence permit to attend school if you meet certain requirements for this purpose

Apply for BAföG to attend school

You can receive financial help to attend school or do an internship if your parents do not earn much or if you have already worked independently for a while. This help is called BAföG.

Apply for recognition of equivalence of foreign school-leaving qualifications

If you have obtained a school-leaving qualification abroad and live in Thuringia, or would like to start vocational training in Thuringia, you can apply for recognition of the equivalence of your foreign school-leaving qualification.

Change after school care

Here you will find information on how to change your personal data or how to adjust the care times of your child's school or vacation home.

Community School

Here you can get information about the type of school the community school is.

Comprehensive school

Here you will find information about the comprehensive school.

Elementary school

Here you will find information on registering your child at elementary school.


§ 18 ThürSchulG Full-time compulsory education begins on August 1 of the same year for all children who are six years old on August 1 of that year. A child who is at least...

Ensuring safety on the way to school

Here you will find information on how to make school routes safe.

EU - School program for fruit, vegetables and milk - apply for funding

You would like to supply schools or children's institution with fruit, vegetables and milk free of charge or that your educational institution is supplied within the framework of the EU - school program? The competent authority will support you and inform you about the necessary steps.

German School Abroad - Registration

Would you like to register your child at a German school abroad? Find out here about registering at a German school abroad.

Get general information about compulsory education

You will receive basic information on compulsory education and the fundamental regulations. All special exceptional cases will not be dealt with comprehensively.

Get general information about the school vacations

Here you can get information about the dates of the school vacations in the Free State of Thuringia.

Gifted and Talented

Support for the gifted in Germany consists mainly of state-funded study grants awardedby gifted support organizations and foundations to particularly gifted students, usually in...

Have fees for after-school care determined

Here you can get information about the setting of the after-school fees.

High school

If your child would like to continue their education at a Gymnasium, you can enroll them there if they meet the entrance requirements.

Music school

Here you can get information about the educational institution music school.

Pupil travel costs

If you would like to be reimbursed for your child's travel costs to and from school, you must apply to the relevant authority.

Register children for after school care

Here you will find information on how to register your child for after-school care.

Registration at the regular school

The majority of pupils in Thuringia attend mainstream school after elementary school. Parents do not need to submit a special application to transfer to a mainstream school. In...

Request school psychological counseling

The School Psychological Service offers psychological counseling for educators, parents and students of all state schools in Thuringia.

School - Performance evaluation

In schools, grades are assigned to evaluate performance.

School degrees

With its diversity, the Thuringian school system offers the right school for every student. The four-year elementary school forms the basis of general education. After that, the...

School development planning

School development planning in Thuringia establishes the planning basis for the development of a regionally balanced and efficient educational offering in the state. It is an...

School enrollment examination

Prior to enrollment in school, the health department conducts an enrollment examination of children.

School of the Second Way of Education

At a college you can catch up on the Abitur via the second educational path.

School surveys

If you would like to conduct scientific studies at schools in Thuringia, you must first apply for permission to do so.

Special school

In Thuringia, there are regional support centers with the special needs areas of learning, language, and emotional and social development that work as network support centers...


Truancy is defined as recurrent or prolonged and usually unexcused absences from school. Occasional truancy can also be truancy. Truancy is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of...

Vacation offers

School vacations are nice, but in summer they are also quite long. If you are threatened by boredom, you should look for keywords such as "vacation offers", "offers for children"...

Please select the desired service on the left.