Before the birth

Even when planning your family and during pregnancy, there are services you can use and preparations you can make.


Apply for one-time benefits

Moving, pregnancy, birth: If you lack money for certain situations in your life, you can apply for one-time benefits.

Apply for parental allowance

If you look after your child after the birth, the parental allowance compensates for any lack of income.

Certify acknowledgement of paternity

If you wish to make a declaration acknowledging paternity of a child and a declaration of consent by the mother, this can be publicly certified by registrars in any registry office, at youth welfare offices and before notaries.

Certify declaration of custody

If the parents are not married to each other at the time of the child's birth, they are entitled to joint parental custody if they make a declaration of custody.

Maternity recognition

  • If you wish to make a declaration recognizing maternity to your child, to the extent required by your home country law or the law of the country in which the child is habitually resident.

Parental leave: advise and inform

When you become parents, you are entitled to unpaid time off from work, provided you meet certain requirements. You must register the parental leave with your employer in writing.

Plan and register parental leave

You can plan your 3 years of parental leave flexibly, but you must observe certain requirements. You announce the parental leave to your employer.

Pregnancy and pregnancy conflict counseling

If you have any questions about (unwanted) pregnancy, you can contact the pregnancy- and pregnancy conflict counseling free of charge. Counseling sessions can also be held anonymously.

Receive parental benefit advice

If you need advice on parental allowance, you can contact the regional parental allowance office.

Show birth

You must report the birth of a child to the relevant registry office. You can find out more about this here.

Please select the desired service on the left.