What is the process for divorcing or for dissolving a registered life partnership? What do you need to do for a divorce decree from another country to be legally valid in Germany? Who is involved in deciding on maintenance claims and the division of property and possessions?


Claim separation maintenance

If you are married or in a registered civil partnership but living separately, you can demand reasonable maintenance from your partner even before the divorce.

Claiming divorce maintenance

If you are legally divorced and you are unable to support yourself, you can claim reasonable maintenance from your former spouse.

Dissolution of the civil partnership

If you want to end your civil partnership, you can apply to dissolve your civil partnership.


Here you can get information about divorce.

Have foreign divorce decrees recognized

If your marriage was divorced outside Germany, you can have this decision formally recognized in Germany.

Information on replacing a lost divorce certificate

If you have lost your divorce decree or your divorce decree (divorce certificate), you can apply for a new certified copy or copy at the local court or family court where your...

Please select the desired service on the left.