Have you found your partner for life and do you want to make it official? Which authorities do you need to inform of your change in status and perhaps name when you get married? When planning and preparing for your wedding, you need to provide numerous different certificates, agree on the time and place, and clarify questions relating to property. Local registry offices are responsible for the majority of the government services you will need.


Annulment of marriage

If you think that your marriage is not legal, you can apply for annulment of your marriage.

Applying for subsequent certification of a marriage concluded abroad

You need information on the subsequent certification of a marriage. You can find out more here.

Change first name

You can apply for the change of your first name at the competent administrative authority if there is an important reason.

Change surname of a child by naming

If your spouse is not a parent of your child and you want him or her to have your married name, you can change the child's name.

Change surname of a child by single custodial parent

You can have your child's name changed to the other parent's surname.

Change surname of spouses

If you marry or are already in a marriage, you can determine a common family name.

Change surname of the child by declaration of affiliation

If your name has changed, then you can also have the name of your child over 5 years old changed by declaration of affiliation.

Change surnames of expellees, late repatriates, their spouses or descendants

As a displaced person or late repatriate or their spouse or descendants, you have various options for changing your name(s).

Change surnames of registered civil partners

If you live in a registered civil partnership, you can determine a common name (civil partnership name).

Civil partnership certificate issuance

You can obtain your civil partnership certificate from the registry office in whose area the civil partnership was established.

Family book

The family register was a register of civil status created ex officio after every marriage in Germany and kept at the competent registry office. It contained information on the...

First names change order

If you have more than one first name, you can have their order changed by making a declaration.

Issuance of a certificate of marriageability for German citizens with residence, or habitual abode abroad.

The Certificate of Marriage Ability is issued when it is required for marriage abroad.

It is issued for German citizens with residence or habitual abode abroad, by the registry office 1 in Berlin.

Issue certificate of marriageability

If you wish to marry abroad, then you may need a certificate of marriageability. You must apply for this at the registry office

Name declaration of spouses without domestic marriage or marriage registration

If you are married, you may be able to arrange your name by declaration before a German registry office even after you have married abroad.

Public law change of the family name

If a change of the family name is not possible according to the civil-legal requirements, the change of the family name can be applied for at the responsible administrative authority (municipality) if there is an important reason.

Redetermine surname of the child

If you do not share joint custody of a child until after the birth, you can redetermine the child's family name.

Register marriage

If you wish to marry in a German registry office, you must register the marriage beforehand at the registry office of your place of residence. When registering the marriage, the marriage requirements are checked.

Request marriage certificate

Do you need a marriage certificate? You must apply for this at the competent office.

Resume family name after dissolution of marriage or civil partnership

If your marriage or civil partnership is dissolved, you can change your family name.

Please select the desired service on the left.