Apply for passport

Service Description

In many countries outside the European Union (EU) you need a passport when entering and leaving the country. You must carry this with you and show it on request. The passport also replaces the identity card, although unlike the latter it does not contain the address of the holder.

The passport can be issued to children as young as 0 years old. If you are planning to travel abroad in the EU with your child, you should apply for a normal biometric passport instead of a children's passport, as the children's passport or identity card is not recognized in some travel countries, such as the USA. The child passport has a validity period of one year.

Temporary passport: In urgent cases, a temporary passport can be applied for at the same time as the (final) passport.

Multiple passportsIf there is a legitimate interest, it is possible to issue several passports for the same person (for example, if there are difficulties in entering other countries due to certain visa entries in the passport).

Biometric passport (ePassport):

Since November 1, 2005, so-called biometric passports (also called ePassports) have been issued. A chip is integrated in it, which - in addition to the personal data of the passport holder - also contains the digital facial image. The photos must therefore be "biometrically compatible. In particular, this means that the face is no longer shown in half-profile, but in frontal view. Since November 1, 2007, two fingerprints have also been stored digitally on the chip in the passport. (Detailed information on biometrics in passports can be found on the website of the Federal Ministry of the Interior).

Biometrics in passports

Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Thüringen (Linie6PLus)

No competent authority found

Please enter your location.