Apply for child passport

Service Description

When traveling abroad, your child needs a travel document. For children, this can be done in various ways. This can be a children's passport, an identity card or, depending on the destination country, a regular passport.

A new children's passport for your child can be issued on application until the child reaches the age of 12 when applying for the first time,

  • if the validity of the old child passport has expired,
  • if your child's child passport has been stolen or lost,
  • if your child's name has changed, or
  • if entries - except for the information on place of residence or height - are incorrect or missing.

The child passport does not contain an electronic chip.

The children's passport is valid for one year, but at most until your child's 12th birthday.

An entry in the passport of the parents is no longer possible since 1.11.2007. Previous entries are invalid due to a European requirement since 26.6.2012. In this respect, children (from birth) need their own travel document (if necessary also passport or identity card) to cross the border in any case.

It is possible to extend the period of validity several times for one year at a time, up to your child's 12th birthday at the latest.

You apply for a child's passport in person and together with your child at the passport office at the child's main place of residence. You can also apply for a child passport at any other passport office in Germany or abroad. In this case, you will have to pay a surcharge on top of the fee.

Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Thüringen (Linie6PLus)

No competent authority found

Please enter your location.