Apply for a residence permit for a foreign spouse to join a German spouse

Service Description

You can obtain a residence permit for family reunification as the spouse or registered partner of a German if you come from a country outside the EU or the EEA.
The prerequisite is that you want to establish or continue a family partnership in Germany. As a rule, a family relationship exists if you live together with your reference person in a shared apartment. If you do not live together in a shared apartment, your spouse or partner should maintain regular contact with each other that goes beyond mere visits.
A further prerequisite for the granting of a residence permit is that your spouse or life partner has his or her habitual place of residence in Germany. A person has his or her habitual residence where he or she has the center of his or her life and does not just stay temporarily.
As a rule, you should be able to communicate in German in everyday life with a simple knowledge of the language - that is, in a straightforward manner - for example, to ask for directions, go shopping and introduce yourself. Proof of language skills is not required in every case. You can obtain more information about this from the relevant foreigners authority.
Under certain circumstances, the foreigners authority may require you to attend an integration course when issuing your residence permit. This will then be noted on your residence permit.
The residence permit is a temporary residence title and is issued for at least one year.

Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Thüringen (Linie6PLus)

No competent authority found

Please enter your location.