Taking narcotics with you when traveling abroad Certificate

Service Description

As a patient, you are allowed to export or import narcotics prescribed by your doctor as travel necessities in quantities appropriate for the duration of a trip.

When traveling for up to 30 days in member states of the Schengen Agreement, you may take narcotics prescribed by a doctor with you, provided you have a certificate completed by the doctor treating you. You must have this certificate authenticated before starting your journey.

This regulation also applies if you are carrying narcotics that can be prescribed in the country of origin but not in the country of destination.

The carrying of narcotics by authorized persons is not permitted.

When traveling outside the "Schengen area", you should clarify the legal situation in the country to be traveled to before starting the trip. You must then obtain a multilingual certificate from your doctor.

Also, if you are carrying certain substitution drugs (e.g. methadone), you should inquire as a patient at the respective responsible diplomatic representation of the country of travel in Germany before starting your journey.

As a physician, dentist or veterinarian, you may carry narcotics in the context of charitable foreign missions (for example, Doctors without Borders) or as medical practice supplies in cross-border traffic, if you use them in reasonable quantities and for the purpose of medical professional practice or first aid.

You must be able to identify yourself as a doctor (doctor's identity card). Please check with the diplomatic representation of the country of destination prior to travel whether the narcotics can be carried and whether any permits are required.

Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Thüringen (Linie6PLus)

No competent authority found

Please enter your location.