Motor vehicle registration - registering new or used motor vehicles

Service Description

Vehicles can be registered to private individuals and legal entities or companies as vehicle owners, i.e. also to

  • companies,
  • authorities or
  • associations.

For a new vehicle, you must submit an application for registration to your registration authority. New vehicles are vehicles that

  • are being used on public roads for the first time and
  • have not previously been registered in Germany or abroad.

For a used vehicle that

  • has previously only been used on non-public property (for example, on an airport site) or
  • was previously only registered abroad

you must submit an application for initial registration to the relevant registration authority.

Once your car has been registered, you will receive the registration papers and your personal license plate number from the registration authority.

Note: For a used vehicle that has already been registered, you only need to submit an application for re-registration in the event of a change of owner.

There are different registration procedures:

  • Vehicle registration: New vehicles
  • Vehicle registration: re-registration of a vehicle that has been taken out of service
  • Registration of vehicles/trailers from EU member states
  • Registration of vehicles/trailers from non-EU member states

The application can be made by the applicant in person or by an authorized representative.

Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Thüringen (Linie6PLus)

Start your request directly online:

Competent Authority

Landratsamt Saale-Holzland-Kreis - KFZ-Zulassung

Claußstraße 3
07607 Eisenberg

Postal address
Post office box 1310
07602 Eisenberg
036691 115
Remark: Service Center
036691 70-760
Opening times

Monday 08:30 - 12:00
Tuesday 08:30 - 12:00, 13:30 - 15:30
Wednesday 08:30 - 12:00
Thursday 08:30 - 12:00, 13:30 - 17:30
Friday 08:30 - 12:00

A personal visit is only possible by prior appointment.
For this purpose, please use non-contact methods (telephone, mail, fax, e-mail, motor vehicle online service) to communicate with our office.

Transport connection
Building access


In order to display interactive Java, the Java RE is required, for PDF the Acrobat Reader.
SEPA direct debit mandate for the collection of vehicle tax
Declaration of consent from parents regarding the registration of a vehicle in the name of their children
Power of attorney for regulations at the vehicle registration authority