National cultural property Apply for a temporary export permit

Service Description

You need a permit to export national cultural property from Germany. Cultural goods are, for example, works of art, archaeological objects, archive material, manuscripts or antiques such as furniture, musical instruments or jewelry.

National cultural property is cultural property that

  • is entered in a register of nationally valuable cultural property,
  • is publicly owned and held by an institution under public law that preserves cultural property (e.g. museum, archive, library),
  • is owned and held by an institution preserving cultural property (e.g. museum, archive, library) that is predominantly financed by public grants, or
  • is part of a federal or state art collection.

You can apply for permission from the competent authority. A distinction is made between permanent and temporary export. The export is temporary if it takes place for a limited period of no more than 5 years from the outset.

You apply in writing to the competent authority of the federal state for approval of the temporary export of national cultural property,

  • in whose register of nationally valuable cultural property the cultural property is entered or
  • if it is not a registered cultural asset, in the federal state in which the cultural asset is located at the time of application.

If you are a legal entity, your head office in Germany is decisive for local jurisdiction.

You apply for a permit for the permanent export of national cultural property in writing to the Federal Government Commissioner for Culture and the Media.

Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Thüringen (Linie6PLus)

Competent Authority

Thüringer Staatskanzlei

Postal address
Post office box 90 02 53
99105 Erfurt

Regierungsstraße 73
99084 Erfurt
0361 115
0361 57-107