Name declaration of spouses without domestic marriage or marriage registration

Service Description

Spouses can arrange their own name. Under certain circumstances, this also applies if the marriage was contracted abroad and therefore no domestic marriage or marriage registration exists. To this end, the spouses can submit a corresponding declaration to a German registry office after the marriage. The registry office of the place of residence must check and confirm the validity of the declaration.

For spouses with a German personal statute, the following name declarations can be considered:

  • Marriage name determination (also after marriage).
  • Adoption of a companion name (prefix or addition)

For spouses with a foreign personal statute, other possibilities for name declaration may come into consideration under certain circumstances. Please contact the registry office of your place of residence in advance.

Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Thüringen (Linie6PLus)

Competent Authority


Markt 10
07768 Kahla
036424 77340
036424 77341
036424 77104

By appointment only
Parking spaces
Parking Place
Fees: yes

Building access