Apply for child supplement

Service Description

The child supplement is a benefit for families with a low income. The child supplement will support your family if you have a low income and cannot cover the needs of the whole family or can only just cover them.

You are entitled to child supplement for your children under the age of 25 if

  • Your child/children are not married or partnered and live in your household,
  • you receive child benefit for the child or are only not entitled to child benefit because you receive another comparable state benefit that excludes child benefit,
  • you have enough income for yourself and can cover your family's needs with the child supplement,
  • your monthly income reaches a minimum limit (the so-called minimum income limit) and
  • your income, which is offset against the child supplement, is not so high that the child supplement is reduced to zero and
  • you do not have any significant assets

The maximum amount of the child supplement is EUR 292.00 per month per child. If your income is higher than your needs as parents, the child supplement will be reduced. Your children's income is also taken into account, for example if your children receive maintenance, advance maintenance or a half-orphan's pension.

The child supplement is granted for 6 months at a time. After 6 months, you must submit a new application.

The following are taken into account as income

  • 45% of your child's/children's own income, for example maintenance, advance maintenance or half-orphan's pension,
  • Parents' income from employment or self-employment that exceeds their own needs at 45 percent,
  • income replacement benefits such as unemployment benefit, short-time working allowance or sickness benefit,
  • parental allowance,
  • pensions from social insurance,
  • capital and interest income,
  • income from letting and leasing and
  • Maintenance payments (spousal maintenance).

Since 01.01.2020, you can also receive the child supplement if your earned income, child supplement and housing benefit are not more than EUR 100.00 per month less than the citizen's allowance entitlement.


If you receive child supplement or housing benefit, you can receive benefits for education and participation for your children. You can also be exempted from KiTa fees.

The KiZ-Lotse will help you to check quickly and easily whether you are eligible for child supplement. You can find the KiZ-Lotse on the website of the Family Benefits Office of the Federal Employment Agency under the navigation "Family and children".

The Family Benefits Office offers a video consultation service, which you can use to ask questions about the child supplement from home. You can make an appointment for a video consultation online or by telephone on 0800 4555530.

Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Thüringen (Linie6PLus)

Competent Authority

Bundesagentur für Arbeit (BA), Dienststellenfinder