Have birth abroad retroactively certified

Service Description

If you or your child were born abroad, you can apply for subsequent certification of the birth. There is no legal obligation for subsequent certification. A proper foreign birth certificate (if necessary with translation, legalization or apostille) also proves the fact of birth. A subsequent certification can be useful if the name or the descent relations are to be proven bindingly in Germany. Furthermore, the registry office I in Berlin can issue you new certificates (also multilingual) at any time after the certification.

If the German parent was born abroad after 31.12.1999, the child acquires German citizenship with habitual residence abroad only if the certification of the birth in the German birth register is applied for within one year after the birth of the child, unless the child would otherwise become stateless.

Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Thüringen (Linie6PLus)

No competent authority found