Apply for short-time allowance

Service Description

In difficult economic times, employment costs can be a burden for the company. If, for example, a company suffers a loss of working hours due to an acute crisis situation because production has to be restricted due to a lack of supplies, short-time working may be indicated. During short-time working, employees temporarily work less or not at all. The short-time working allowance then partially compensates for the loss of earnings. It is intended to relieve your company and help to preserve jobs.

Employers are responsible for reporting the loss of work and applying for short-time working allowance. Employees do not have to do anything. Short-time working can be introduced for the entire company or for individual departments. The amount of short-time working allowance depends on the employee's income and the actual loss of work/earnings during the period of short-time working:

  • 60 percent of the lost net wage for employees without a child in the household
  • 67 percent of the lost net wage for employees with at least one child in the household

You will receive the short-time working allowance at the earliest from the calendar month in which the Federal Employment Agency receives your notification of the loss of earnings. The short-time working allowance is a reimbursement benefit. As an employer, you initially pay wages and salaries to your employees in advance. The short-time working allowance is settled monthly in arrears with the Federal Employment Agency at the payroll office and paid to you retroactively.

Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Thüringen (Linie6PLus)

Competent Authority

Bundesagentur für Arbeit (BA)

Regensburger Straße 104
90478 Nürnberg
0800 45555-00
Remark: Service hotline of the Federal Employment Agency (toll-free)