Company number for social security notifications assigned on request

Service Description

As soon as you employ the first person subject to compulsory insurance, you must apply for a company number for the company in which the person works.

The company number is usually issued by the Federal Employment Agency upon electronic application. A customer data record is created for you in which your company master data is registered. The social insurance institutions can then use the company number to assign the notifications to the health, pension and unemployment insurance schemes to your employment company.

One or more company numbers?

  • As the employer of a company with only one location, you only need one company number.
  • You will need several company numbers if you have branches in several municipalities.
  • You also need several establishment numbers if you are the owner of several establishments in the same municipality, each of which forms an independent economic unit.

Registered office abroad

If you are an employer based abroad, you may need a company number - if you have to report workers employed in Germany to the German social security system. This could be sales staff or customer advisors working from home, for example.

Special rules for private households, miners and shipping companies

  • You want to employ someone in your private household on a marginal basis (mini-job): Please contact the mini-job center of the German pension insurance Knappschaft-Bahn-See.
  • You are a miner's company (extraction of minerals, e.g. coal), employ staff in a miner's company or employ workers who carry out miner's work in mines or are used for remediation work in opencast mines: Please contact Deutsche Rentenversicherung Knappschaft-Bahn-See.
  • You are a seafaring company (including coastal fishermen and coastal skippers): Please contact Deutsche Rentenversicherung Knappschaft-Bahn-See.

Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Thüringen (Linie6PLus)

Competent Authority

Bundesagentur für Arbeit Betriebsnummern-Service

Eschberger Weg 68
66121 Regionalverband Saarbrücken
Opening times

Mon. 08:00 - 18:00

Tue. 08:00 - 18:00 h

Wed. 08:00 - 18:00 h

Thur. 08:00 - 18:00 h

Fri. 08:00 - 18:00 h