Residence permit for temporary protection because of the war in Ukraine

Service Description

By Council Implementing Decision (EU) 2022/382 of 4 March 2022 establishing the existence of a mass influx of displaced persons from Ukraine within the meaning of the Mass Influx Directive 2001/55/EC, the European Union has decided to open the admission procedure for temporary protection for war refugees.

If you have fled Ukraine because of the war, or if you have been legally residing in Germany for a long time and cannot return to Ukraine after your current residence permit expires because of the war, you can receive temporary protection in Germany under Section 24 of the Residence Act.

In addition, you can currently enter Germany without a visa and stay here for 90 days from your initial entry - initially limited until May 31, 2023 - without a residence permit.

You may receive government assistance to support yourself if needed (for example, in the form of housing, cash payments, or medical care). If you are dependent on state support (social benefits), you are generally not entitled to stay in a specific place in Germany. Your place of residence is determined by the competent authority (allocation decision). In order to take up residence in a place of your choice, weighty reasons must be presented (for example, family relationships).

Before receiving your residence permit, you must go through the formal registration process for refugees. During registration, your personal data (personal data and fingerprints, photo) will be collected by a German authority.

The residence permit is usually issued initially for two years. It can be issued for a maximum of three years in total, provided that the EU decides to extend the admission procedure.

If there are no reasons to the contrary, you will be issued a permit by the competent foreigners authority to pursue dependent or self-employed gainful employment, with which you can pursue any occupation in Germany. Please note that in some professions there are access restrictions under professional law (for example in the health sector). You can also start your own business or work as a freelancer.

In addition, you can receive benefits for counseling and placement according to SGB III through the employment agencies.

Children from the age of six have the right but also the obligation to attend school.

Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Thüringen (Linie6PLus)

Start your request directly online:

No competent authority found