Apply for change of tax classes during marriage or civil partnership

Service Description

The amount of wage tax withheld from your wages depends on the tax class.
If you and your spouse or civil partner (hereinafter for both: partner) do not live permanently separated, you can choose between the following tax class combinations:

  • IV/IV,
  • III/V or
  • Tax class IV with factor. Tax class IV with factor is also referred to as the factor method.

To change your tax class, you must always submit a joint application to your local tax office. This also applies to a new assignment of tax classes III and V.
To change from tax class III/V to IV/IV, it is sufficient if only you or your partner submit the application.
For example, you can apply for a change of tax class in the following cases: you or your partner

  • no longer receive a salary or
  • you start working again after becoming unemployed.

You can also change your tax class several times a year.

If you and your partner live permanently separated, you must inform your local tax office about this so that the tax class is changed (I instead of III/V or IV/IV).

Since the law introducing the right to marry for persons of the same sex came into force on 1.10.2017, new civil partnerships can no longer be formed in Germany. Same-sex couples have been able to enter into marriage with each other since this date and are thus on an equal footing with opposite-sex couples.
Existing civil partnerships can be converted into marriage. However, there is no obligation to do so. Existing civil partnerships can be continued in their previous form.

Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Thüringen (Linie6PLus)

No competent authority found

Please enter your location.