Residence permit for employment as a civil servant Apply for extension

Service Description

If you are in a civil servant relationship with a German employer and are staying in the Federal territory to fulfill official duties, you usually have a temporary residence permit. You can apply for an extension of the residence permit if the validity of your residence permit expires and you wish to continue your service in the Federal territory.

The same requirements apply for the extension as for the granting. This means that you are still in a civil servant relationship with a German employer and wish to stay in Germany to fulfill your official duties.

In the case of an extension, your residence permit will be limited again. The duration of the time limit depends on the planned duration of your service.

The involvement of the Federal Employment Agency is not required for the extension of your residence permit.

Under certain circumstances, you were required to attend an integration course when your residence permit was first issued. If this is the case, this must be taken into account when extending your residence permit. If you have not yet taken part in an integration course, the Foreigners' Registration Office may reject your application for an extension of your residence permit. If you have not yet completed the integration course, your residence permit will generally only be extended for one year at a time until you successfully complete the course or provide proof that you have been integrated into social life in some other way.

If you have been in possession of a residence permit for the performance of official duties with a German employer for three years, you are entitled to be granted an unlimited residence title (settlement permit). The requirement of having paid contributions to the statutory pension insurance for at least 60 months or having to prove expenses for a claim to comparable benefits is waived.

Union citizens who are civil servants of a German employer are not subject to the Residence Act, but to the Freedom of Movement Act/EU.

Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Thüringen (Linie6PLus)

No competent authority found

Please enter your location.