Apply for a permanent residence card for family members of EU citizens entitled to freedom of movement

Service Description

If you are a third-country family member of a national of the European Union (EU) or of a state of the European Economic Area (EEA: Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein) and have resided lawfully in Germany for a period of five years with your family member who is entitled to freedom of movement, you can obtain a permanent residence permit irrespective of whether the conditions under EU law continue to be met and apply to the Aliens' Registration Office for the issue of a permanent residence card.

The Aliens' Registration Office will check the duration and lawfulness of the periods of residence you have completed and will issue the permanent residence card within six months if the requirements are met.

"Lawful" is your five years of permanent residence if you have fulfilled the conditions under Union law for the free movement of third-country family members over a period of five years (for example, if you have held a residence card for five years).

Shorter periods of absence are irrelevant for the calculation of the period for acquiring the permanent right of residence. Thus, permanent residence can also be assumed if you leave the territory of the Federal Republic for a total of six months per year, to perform military service or alternative service, or for one time for up to twelve consecutive months for good cause (for example, due to a serious illness, studies or vocational training).

With the acquisition of the right of permanent residence, you receive an improved legal status, regardless of your nationality. In addition, the protection against expulsion is increased.

Under certain conditions, family members can also obtain the permanent right of residence independently of permanent residence with the reference person entitled to freedom of movement and before five years have elapsed (for example, if the reference person dies after at least two years of joint residence in Germany or as a result of an occupational accident/illness).

Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Thüringen (Linie6PLus)

No competent authority found

Please enter your location.