Apply for identity card due to name change upon marriage

Service Description

After a name change, your ID card is invalid. So if your family name has changed, for example, after a marriage or the establishment of a civil partnership, you must apply for a new ID card. The same applies to your children if their names also change with the marriage.

There is one exception: as long as you have a valid passport document, i.e. passport or temporary passport, with the new name, you do not have to apply for a new ID card.

The validity period depends on your age at the time of application:

  • Under 24 years: Identity card is valid for 6 years.
  • 24 years and older: Identity card is valid for 10 years.
  • A temporary identity card is valid for a maximum of 3 months.

You can apply for it at your Citizen's Office at your main place of residence. If you do not apply for your new ID card at your main residence, you need an important reason. In addition, a surcharge of EUR 13.00 will be added to the fee. If you contact your chosen Bürgeramt beforehand, you can find out whether and to what extent the Bürgeramt recognizes your reason.

If you need your new ID card immediately after marriage with a name change or after the establishment of a civil partnership with a name change, for example for a trip abroad, you can apply for your ID card with the new name at the earliest 8 weeks before the planned date of marriage or establishment of a civil partnership. As an exception, the Bürgeramt will then enter the date of the planned marriage or the establishment of the civil partnership as the date of issue. The new ID card may only be issued after the marriage or after the name declaration has been received by the relevant registry office. Before the identity card is issued, the name must be verified on the basis of the marriage certificate or the certified printout of the marriage register or the certificate on the name.

When submitting the application, the Citizen's Office draws your attention to the fact that in all cases where the marriage date indicated at the time of application is subsequently changed to a later date and consequently the date of issue of the identity card with the new surname is earlier than the new marriage date, the identity card is invalid. It must not be issued. If necessary, you will have to reapply for the ID card with a fee.

Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Thüringen (Linie6PLus)

No competent authority found

Please enter your location.