Apply for residence permit for employment in public interest

Service Description

You can apply for a residence permit for employment if there is a public interest in your employment, in particular a regional, economic or labor market policy interest.

The residence permit for employment due to public interest is a special right of residence that is only granted in justified individual cases. A public interest in employment can be justified, for example,

  • if there is a regional or supra-regional public interest in the products or services of an employer or if there is an undersupply of certain goods or services at the employer's location (regional interests). Supply or municipal policy reasons may also play a role here.
  • if considerable investments and/or a significant number of jobs are created or secured; if the establishment of the enterprise is associated with a sustainable improvement in the sales or market opportunities of domestic enterprises or if it involves the establishment of a manufacturing plant for technically high-quality (future-proof) and/or particularly environmentally compatible products (economic interests).
  • if the employment preserves or creates jobs (labor market policy interests).

The private economic, operational interest of an employer alone is not sufficient to establish a public interest in employment.

They do not have to provide proof of qualification. Recognition of their qualification acquired abroad is also not required.

Before the residence permit is issued, the Federal Employment Agency must approve it. This Federal Employment Agency also checks whether there is a labor market policy interest. The approval is granted for a maximum of four years.

If the residence permit is issued, it is limited in time. The validity depends on your employment contract or the period of validity of the approval of the Federal Employment Agency.

Under certain circumstances, the Aliens' Registration Office may require you to attend an integration course. This will then be noted on your residence permit.

If you are an employer and would like to hire an employee from abroad due to public interests, you can apply for the accelerated skilled worker procedure at the Foreigners' Authority with the power of attorney of the foreigner, with which the entry can be facilitated and accelerated.

Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Thüringen (Linie6PLus)

No competent authority found

Please enter your location.