Residence permit for education and training purposes Apply for extension

Service Description

If you have a residence permit for the purpose of education and training whose validity is about to expire, you must apply for the extension of the residence permit in due time.

The same requirements must be met for the extension of the residence permit as for the initial issuance. In principle, your residence permit can be extended until the end of the training or further education if the training or further education relationship continues and is expected to be completed successfully.

For the entire duration of the in-company training or further training, you must provide proof that you are able to support yourself.

The residence permit can only be extended if the approval of the Federal Employment Agency remains valid. The Foreigners Authority checks this in an internal procedure and obtains the approval again if necessary.

An extension is excluded if this was already ruled out by the Foreigners' Registration Office when the residence permit was issued or when it was last extended.

The residence permit is limited in time. As a rule, its validity depends on the remaining duration of the education or training.

If you were obliged to take part in an integration course when the residence permit was issued, you must prove that you have fulfilled this obligation. If you have not yet completed the integration course, the Aliens' Registration Office can refuse to extend your residence permit or can only extend it for one year until you have successfully completed the course or until proof has been provided that you have been integrated into social life in some other way.

If you have not yet reached the age of 18, a person entitled to your personal care must agree to the extended stay for the purpose of continuing the vocational training or further education.

During the qualified vocational training, you are permitted to pursue employment. However, the extension of your residence permit is only possible if the successful completion of your vocational training is not jeopardized by the pursuit of gainful employment.

After successful completion of qualified vocational training, your residence permit may be extended for up to twelve months for the purpose of finding a job.

Should your qualified vocational training or further training end prematurely for reasons beyond your control, you may be granted the opportunity to look for another training place for a period of up to six months.

During the validity of a residence permit for in-company vocational training and continuing education, it is generally possible to change to another qualified vocational training program. Likewise, if you meet the necessary requirements, you can apply to the Aliens' Registration Office to obtain a residence permit for employment as a skilled worker, for employment with distinctive practical vocational knowledge, for study or for other purposes to which you are legally entitled (change of purpose).

Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Thüringen (Linie6PLus)

No competent authority found

Please enter your location.