Residence permit for family reasons Issuance for family reunification of a foreign parent with a German minor

Service Description

You can join your German, minor, unmarried child if you come from a country outside the EU or the EEA, have personal custody of the German child and intend to exercise this custody.

Personal custody includes the right and at the same time the duty to care for, raise and supervise the child and to determine its residence. A child is a minor if he or she has not yet reached the age of 18. A person is single if he or she is not married and has not been married before; a person living in a registered partnership is not single either.

If these requirements are met, you must be granted a residence permit.

You can also join your child if you do not have custody of the child. The prerequisite for this is that you and your child already live together as a family in Germany. A family relationship is assumed if the relatives maintain regular contact with each other that goes beyond mere visits. If the requirements are met, the authorities will decide whether to issue a residence permit on a discretionary basis.

Under certain circumstances, the Aliens' Registration Office may require you to attend an integration course. This will then be noted on your residence permit.

The residence permit is a temporary residence title and is issued for at least one year.

Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Thüringen (Linie6PLus)

No competent authority found

Please enter your location.