Service Description

The profession of midwifery is regulated in Germany. This means that in order to work as a midwife in Germany, you need a state permit. With the permit, you may use the professional title "midwife" and work in the profession.

Even with a professional qualification from abroad, you can obtain the state permit from the competent body in Germany. To obtain the permit, you must have your foreign professional qualification recognized.

In the recognition procedure, the competent body compares your professional qualification from abroad with the German professional qualification and checks the equivalence. In some cases, your professional qualification can be recognized automatically. This means that no examination of equivalence is carried out. It is assumed that the training is equivalent.

As a rule, your professional qualification will be automatically recognized if you obtained your professional qualification in a state of the European Union (EU), the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland. However, there may be exceptions to this rule. This depends on the state in which you completed your education and when.

There may be other cases in which your professional qualification is automatically recognized. The competent authority will inform you. If your professional qualification is not automatically recognized, other regulations apply.

You still have to fulfill other requirements for the issuance of the permit. Further requirements are, for example, sufficient German language skills and health suitability.
You can also submit the application for the procedure from abroad.

Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Thüringen (Linie6PLus)

No competent authority found

Please enter your location.