Certify declaration of custody

Service Description

If the parents are not married to each other at the time of the child's birth, they are jointly entitled to parental care if they declare that they want to take over care jointly (declaration of custody). A declaration of custody must be publicly notarized.

You can arrange for this at the youth welfare office responsible for you or, for a fee, with a notary public. In the event of a dispute, only the family court can revoke a declaration of custody. It is therefore advisable to seek advice on the rights and obligations arising from the declaration of custody.

Acknowledging paternity is a prerequisite for a joint declaration of custody. If you have not already done so, you can declare paternity and custody jointly at the youth welfare office.

If the declaration of custody is not made, then the mother has sole custody.

The custody certificate, on the other hand, is required to confirm the mother's sole custody.

Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Thüringen (Linie6PLus)

No competent authority found

Please enter your location.