Apply for identity card due to name change after divorce

Service Description

After a name change, your ID card is invalid. So if you have had your family name changed, for example after a divorce or the dissolution of a civil partnership, you must apply for a new ID card.
There is one exception: as long as you have a valid passport document, i.e. passport or temporary passport, with the new name, you do not have to apply for a new ID card.
The period of validity depends on your age at the time of application:

  • Under 24 years: Identity card is valid for 6 years.
  • 24 years and older: Identity card is valid for 10 years.

A temporary identity card is valid for a maximum of 3 months.
You can submit the application at your Bürgeramt at your main place of residence. Applications can be submitted to any other Bürgeramt if an important reason is presented. In this case, an incompetence surcharge is incurred, which means that the cost of issuance increases.

You can apply for a temporary identity card at the same time. This is possible if you need an identity document for the time until the new identity card is issued. The temporary ID card is valid for a maximum of three months. You must return it as soon as you receive the new identity card.

Source: Zuständigkeitsfinder Thüringen (Linie6PLus)

No competent authority found